Chloe Davis Giraldi, MS, RD, LDN
Top 10 Wellness Picks for 2017
To kick off 2017 strong, I teamed up with @bridgittes_table to curate our Top 10 Wellness Products that we believe are essential to beginning anew. Of course, we wholeheartedly believe individualized nutrition counseling from a Registered Dietitian is the best basis for optimal health, but these items can build upon that!
If you are interested in individualized nutrition or wellness counseling click here to get started!
Here's our Top 10 for 2017:
1. Castille Soap: Thank you sustainable voices from above for saving our skin (literally) as well as our environment! Castille soap cleanses without drying skin, or introducing harsh chemicals. It's biodegradable, which is a huge plus for our environment. I like to get mine at Follain a local small business in the Beacon Hill neighborhood of Boston. You can also find it at many local grocers and even Target from Dr.Bronner's!
2. Spa Soaking Salt: Salt is well-known for its purifying, hydrating, anti-inflammatory, and soothing qualities. The convenience of this natural remedy makes our list. Readily available as epsom salt in your local drug store, or at our favorite little shop The Salt Cellar in five different varieties this makes a great everyday product or gift for nearly anyone! Whether you are a busy parent, on your feet all day at work, a 10 mile per day runner, HIIT-er with muscle soreness this can be a lifesaver.
3. Pyrex Containers: BPA free, glass containers that are perfect for prep and go! I recommend glass storage to my clients since they are safe for reheat in the microwave and oven. This means your meal prep is 10x more effective. Since they can go from fridge to lunch-box and are ready to use, you don't have the extra step of transferring to plates at work or school.
4. Yoga Mat: At home workouts remove the excuse of not being able to go to the gym for that daily burst of endorphins from physical activity. Having a yoga mat at home can make your life easier when you want to add in a quick 15 min routine each day. Adding in a movement routine of abs, yoga, or stretching not only benefits your body, but it can reduce stress, and become a time to gather thoughts at the beginning or end of your day. These yoga/exercise mats are made from recycled wet suits! How cool is that...?!
5. Essential Oil/Soy Based Candles: Unwind, meditate, reflect, reduce stress. I always have a candle around, I find my mood improves from the ambient glow and I sleep better in the end! We choose essential oil and soy based candles in reusable or recyclable containers like glass or aluminum since they burn clean and are better for the environment. The Cambridge Naturals candles are made by Prosperity Candle, a local western-MA company.
6. Aluminum or Glass H2O Bottle: Hydration wards away stress, inflammation, and illness. We like to stay hydrated while cutting back on our plastic use and reducing water bottle waste. When you carry around a water bottle, choose BPA free plastic, glass, or aluminum. CamelBack, Life Factory and HydroFlask are all options we love! Make the pledge to BYORB (bring your own reusable bottle) and #ditchdisposable.
7. Essential Oils: Increase mindfulness, enhance your mood with essential oils. Each scent is thought to serve a different purpose, so it is worth checking out a few to create your own individualized combination. Additionally essential oils can be diluted to make your own bath and body/home products. Adding a droplet to coconut oil can create a moisturizing salve.
8. Fermented Products: Fermented foods/bevs contain tons of different pre and probiotics to introduce a variety of friendly bacteria into your gut! These guys help bacteria "pre-digest" certain food components, making them easier for your gut to handle and for nutrients to be absorbed when you eat them. This means your stomach will feel good, your immune function may improve and overall life is grand! We love Kombucha (HealthAde, AquaVitea), and pickled products such as kimchi, ginger, beets, cabbage etc!
9. Nutrition Resources: Quick online guides such as Sustainable Table can help you locate and choose which local fruits and vegetables are in season, no matter where you are! The ease of this resource is at your fingertips! Meeting with a Registered Dietitian can provide you with even more usable resources and tips to making your health a priority!
10. Seltzer: Better for you bubbly beverages like seltzer can not only help you cut back on other sugar-sweetened beverages like juice and soda, but also can provide hydration! Spindrift is a locally produced seltzer that can be purchased either plain or in a naturally 100% fruit juice sweetened form.
We are so happy to partner with Cambridge Naturals for our first giveaway! All the goods: Essential oils, a Cambridge Naturals hydroflask, kombucha, and MA made candle! A $100 value!Here’s what to do:
1. Check out my Instagram @nutritrain_rd, give me a follow
2. Also follow @bridgittes_table and @cambridgenaturals
3. Tag 2 friends and tell us your favorite wellness product.
4. REPOST our graphic for 10 additional entries!!!
Best of luck + Stay Well.
#wellness #natural #cleanbeauty #nutritionresources #yoga #fitness #essentialoils #spa #fermentedfoods #sustainable #homeproducts #nutritrain